Sunday, August 28, 2005

Beggers, what about them?

I just read two different opinions about a new law being passed in Atlanta to control beggers.

I too think its silly to fine and imprison these people, um hello? They're begging for money, so apparently they don't have any to pay a fine. But I don't like being yelled at for not "donating", I don't like them to invade my space and suggest that it was worth my while to have them wipe my windshield with a dirty newspaper because if I don't... um scary!

There was a news story a while back that followed a "begger" on the street. He looked homeless and down on his luck, but actually he made so much money on the kindness of people that he'd go back to his nice house, have a good meal with his family and fly to Vegas and do some gambling on occassion. Nice!

Once on the streets of DC I saw a young kid sitting in front of a fast food place wearing a really nice, expensive running suit, expensive brand new looking sneakers, holding a sign asking for money, right in front of a help wanted sign. Um, get off your ass and get a job? I have no pity for those, especially when I'm working a second job to make ends meet and was detained during my measly half hour lunch break by him asking ME for money, then cursing me when all I had was enough for a stupid burger.

I remember bums when I was a kid. They weren't on the street corners, oh no. Bums in my town went from door to door asking to do odd jobs around the yard. Mowing, weeding, doing anything and all they wanted was some food and perhaps a dollar for the flea bite motel in town. They actually did things to earn the money and food given to them. Nowadays, all they do is stand at the busy intersection of malls with signs crafted from "open house" posters that litter the highways.

With all of the "services" and "programs" out there, I have to wonder why they don't seek those out to get help. Why aren't they using these things to help find a job, a place to stay, help for their problems. Is it because its easier to "be your own boss" and stand on the corner and get money for doing little if not nothing? Is it because these programs and services don't work?

How about we help out the bums by not giving them anything. If they aren't getting the money to feed their habits or get them through the day, then perhaps they will seek these places out and find that they can provide for themselves not just for today, but for the next week, or even the next year, instead of begging.

No comments: