Sunday, November 18, 2007

Recycling: Not My Problem

A recent article on CNN reports that computers turned in for recycling are being shipped to other countries where the process to retrieve usable parts is more dangerous to the environment than just throwing the stuff in a dump.

“Experts” now tell us that we need to research the companies where we donate, toss, throw, dump our electronics to make sure they are not shipping overseas or disposing of them improperly. Um, screw that.

My local dump now has containers for people to throw their used computer gear. I happen to have a ton of used, old, doesn’t work computer gear clogging up my back room. The moment I found out I could take it there, I started loading that crap up (gutting the parts out first, like hard drives) and hauling it to the dump. What do they do with it? I don’t know and I don’t care because once its in their pile, I could care less. What I do care about is that its no longer stacked in my back room collecting dust. I’m certainly not going to spend the time researching what they’re doing with it, because I’m sure that they’ll say one thing, it’ll be another, and no amount of research on my part will reveal the true, evil nature of their disposal. Frankly, I could care less if they pile it into someone else’s house, I just want it gone and how they do that is frankly none of my concern.

This all goes toward proving my theory that this global warming/recycling crap is just a way for companies to make more money on the “Save the world” hype. I’m sure companies just jumped on this whole recycle computer thing popped up and I’m sure that with this article, other companies will pop up that will vow and swear to get rid of your computer gear in a safe and earth friendly way... for a fee. Yeah, bite me.

I’ll continue taking my computer crap to the dump, and let whoever has it then deal with it. Not my problem anymore. Don’t tell me to recycle and then when I do, tell me that I have to recycle a certain way. Set up the proper infrastructure and do it the right way but don’t try to put the onus on me to make sure my antiquated X86 gets recycled properly.

No comments: