Friday, April 18, 2008

I Misspoke

One of the more enjoyable aspects of this heated political race is learning how to deal with the public, and how you can turn any lie into something more benign and innocent. That truly is a gift and one that I hope to use in my next writing gig interview:

Interviewer: So, tell me about some of the things that you’ve written.
Me: I wrote the Bible.
Interviewer: Um, excuse me?
Me: Yep, wrote the whole thing.
Interviewer: The Bible? You wrote the Bible?
Me: Yep, it was pretty hard actually, I distinctly recall that mid-way into the whole thing I ran out of paper. Office Depot was closed, but luckily there was a Walmart that was open 24 hours a day so I was able to score some paper there and finished it ahead of my deadline.
Interviewer: Um, you didn’t write the Bible.
Me: Oh... I’m sorry, I misspoke. I was up late last night watching YouTube videos and chatting, so I’m a bit tired. You are absolutely right, I didn’t write the Bible, but I did read some of it.
Interviewer: Oh, ok, yeah, I can see how lack of sleep would make you a bit confused about that, so when can you start?

See how easy that is! If it works for them, it surely can work for me.

No comments: