Saturday, December 08, 2007

Rude, Just Plain RUDE


I see it all the time, and its about the rudest thing I can think of. Well, ok, I’m sure there are more rude things that happen, but this is just incredibly rude!

I was out alone on my monthly buy as many groceries as possible so I don’t have to suffer through grocery shopping for a month trek. I hate grocery shopping. Even with lists, I forget crap that I didn’t put on the list but would remember (and don’t), or buy half of something I need to make a recipe and don’t have the rest so I’m forced to go out AGAIN to a grocery store and get the rest of the crap.

I started out at Costco for the whole bulk meat thing. I have a food saver, love it, but don’t ever buy the ready made bags, because the box that I last bought, half the stupid things were defective and had a leak somewhere, so while they sealed just fine, they were still full of air, defeating the entire purpose of sucking the air out of them. Then it was off to Safeway for the little things I don’t like buying in bulk... like who needs the cafeteria-sized jar of mayo?

I got everything on my list, stopping once in a while to realize that there were one or two things I should have gotten at Costco, which consisted of me stopping in the middle of the aisle and hissing DAMMIT! and stomping a foot. I do this so people will leave me alone and park their freakin carts out of my way. It usually works.

I picked a good line, not the line with the guy that looks like a dark haired version of Louie Anderson who is always in a horrible mood because his life is very tragic for a Safeway checkout person and he loves telling you why his life sucks. The line with the very funny and cool trannie guy was really long. I love having that guy check me out, he’s very funny, upbeat and efficient, probably why his line is always long. Its very entertaining to get checked out by him. I picked another line where some chick in front of me had 4 things, thinking this would be a nice, quick checkout.

What I didn’t see when I got in line was that this chick had her 4 things still in the cart, even though the conveyor belt was empty and the woman in front of her was paying for her already bagged up items. Why was her stuff still in her cart? Because she was talking to someone on her cell phone. Totally oblivious to the world, she was deep in very important talks about... her car and her boyfriend. Little miss matching coat, slacks and designer bag began to slowly, and with one hand, put her items on the conveyer belt one item at a time. The designer bag was one of those overly clunky bejeweled monstrosities that serve no purpose other than looking all expensive and designer.

After putting her stuff on the belt, she then proceeds to try to unzip the designer monstrosity bag to get out her credit card. By this time the cashier has already rung up her stuff and is waiting for her to swipe her card. She swipes the card then says “oh, I have a store card”. Neither the cashier nor I know if she’s talking to the cashier or the person on the phone. Of course the PIN pad allows you to tap in your phone number if you don’t have your card with you, but she’s too busy continuing her conversation, so the cashier has to ask her TWICE what her phone number is, which she finally gives. Then she has to swipe her card a few more times, while talking, then finally gets her receipt and then spends another few minutes putting the credit card and her receipt back into her stupid bag before slowly walking away... still talking on her phone.

It took EVERYTHING in my being not to grab that phone and throw it across the store.

After she wandered off, I asked the cashier how she was today and then told her how rude I thought that was. I even told her how I had wanted to throw her cell phone across the store, and she laughed and nodded. You could tell she wanted to do the same thing.

I am totally amazed at how self-absorbed and downright rude people are these days. Makes me thankful that I didn’t bring a child into this world because I’m sure its just going to get worse.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I do not know how you controlled yourself. Seriously, I would have gone batshit insane and probably hung up the phone for her. That is, if my head hadn't just exploded instead. My mother swears my attitude is going to get me shot one day.

Unknown said...

OMG that is insane! I am already fantasizing about running her phone over in the parking lot, and I wasn't even there!

If you hate grocery shopping you should check me out! I've started a business where I send people a box with groceries, recipes, and a suggested meal plan, so all they have to do is cook. No more chasing down the cheapest prices or fighting through crowds. I aim more for the maybe-pricier organic food, but it is fairly cheap here in California so it is still only $40 a week or less per person, which I hear a lot of people spending on regular groceries no matter where they are. I call it PeaceMeals. Because you can feel a lot more peaceful when you never have to try not to throw someone else's cell phone across the store again :)