Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Snow, Among Other Things


This morning I woke up to the local weather people gleefully screaming about snow falling. In Maryland, where I live, snow is a big event. The mere mention of snow can send thousands of people running to the store to buy: bread, milk, toilet paper. I’ve never figured out this combination, but those are the three staples that disappear out of stores whenever the hint of snow or hurricanes are mentioned.

Even though no snow had touched the ground when I woke up, I dutifully dialed the snow line. The place where I work has an actual phone number to call to see if the place is closed due to bad weather. I was hoping they were anticipating the worst and had closed the building for the rest of the year, but no such luck. I had to trudge into work. Of course the moment I got in my truck, it started snowing.

It was a pleasant walk from the parking spot into the hole. The hole is what I call the place where I work. Parking is about 3 miles from the hole (ok, its not THAT far, but when its cold, raining, or snowing it feels like it), walked in the building and down the stairs and followed an amazing trail of dried coffee all the way to the door of the place where I work. At first I thought someone had a major coffee leak going on, then realized that the cleaning people must have carried out a bag that had a full coffee cup in it and a leak. It was dried, so apparently the cleaning people don’t really “clean”. Now I have a wonderful trail of dried coffee stains to follow to my office place. It’ll be there forever, nobody will ever clean it up and most likely they’ll wax over it, preserving it for eternity.

I had a momentary heart attack when the page to the CNN feed wouldn’t load. Weeping uncontrollably, I clicked refresh until it got fixed. Its the ONLY thing that keeps me from going insane in that place. Its sorta like my security blanket of sanity.

Mid-way through the long, dull morning I felt a hair tickling my nose. Owning three northern breed dogs that shed 365 days a year, I’m use to having fur and hair all over me, so I tried to pick it off... but it wouldn’t come off. Momentary panic thinking it was attached harkening back to the day when I was standing for a graduation picture and realized that I had a gigantically long chin hair. I’m a woman, I shouldn’t have chin hair, what the fuck is this growing on my chin. My mother neglected to tell me about the cruel tricks that hormones play on women. I just thought that the women I had seen with horrible moles with fur and chin hairs were an anomaly. I began to panic, thinking that I would now be saddled with shaving the chin hairs (the one spread to another, now I have two that sprout at a moment’s notice) but I’d be plucking mutant nose hairs... then it came out, thankfully. It was a dog hair.

The snow had begun to accumulate by the time I got home, so a 15 minute drive took 30 minutes, mainly because I got behind some moron that needed to drive at 40mph on a highway. Generally, it was a crappy day all around, with more crappy expected tomorrow when the snow freezes and I drive to work on an ice skating rink.

No comments: