Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Why My Head Will Explode Part 2


I work my butt off until I’m 75 (or whatever the new and improved retirement age is... frankly by the time I get there it’ll be up to 100), I retire, and I get to sit back and enjoy my retirement years, the golden years, years where I can relax and do the things I want to do, thanks for working my butt off for most of my life.

Not exactly. Apparently seniors are being faced with the bloated assessments of their houses, which in turn bloats their property tax rates, which in turn leaves them destitute because Social Security only pays them enough to buy Little Friskies cat food to eat with crackers.

The solution? Make them work to pay off their property taxes! What a wonderful idea! Make them go back to work after all of those years of working just to retire, they can now spend their retirement... WORKING!

Can nobody else see the problem with our tax system when our elders have to freakin take part time jobs just to pay the taxes on their paid off houses? They earned a salary, which was taxed. They spent their money on goods and services, which are taxed. Their house, even though its paid off... still taxed. We are taxed coming, going, and after after we die. Nothing but taxes, money stripped out of our hands.

I gotta ask what the incentive is for me to work? It use to be that around 65 I could retire and travel and do cool things with the retirement money I got from wherever I worked. That turned into having to put money into a 401K fund and hoping the idiots managing the fund didn’t learn business 101 from the Enron people. Then they bumped up the retirement age, and bumped it up again and again, and now I get to look forward to sitting in my paid off house, HOPEFULLY with some retirement money from my 401K and getting a job so I can pay my taxes and not lose my house.

WHY BOTHER?

Why am I working hard just so I can get a job at Walmart greeting people? What is there to look forward to? Seriously, why bother? Why not just say screw it and suck off the system for the rest of my life if that’s all there is to retirement?

No comments: